Amongst hotel loyalty systems, a person thing that would make Marriott Bonvoy factors special is the skill to (rather) successfully transform them into airline miles. When most key hotel loyalty systems allow some form of chance to transform lodge factors into airline miles, it ordinarily represents a pretty terrible worth.
In this post I wanted to choose a glimpse at the option to transform Marriott points into airline miles, and whether or not it’s really worth it.
Basic principles of Marriott’s points to miles transfer alternative
It is achievable to transform Marriott Bonvoy details into airline miles, with your preference of 38 different frequent flyer packages. Let us just take a appear at which associates Marriott Bonvoy has, what the transfer ratios are, etcetera.
Marriott Bonvoy factors to airline miles transfer ratio
Marriott Bonvoy points typically change into airline miles at a 3:1 ratio, and you get 5,000 bonus miles for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy details you transfer.
In other words, 60,000 Bonvoy factors will change into 25,000 airline miles (which includes the 5,000 reward miles). You can acquire edge of that bonus of 5,000 miles many situations, meaning that you can convert Marriott Bonvoy details into airline miles at a ratio of up to 2.4:1.
Note that you can transfer a minimal of 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy details and a most of 240,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors for each working day. So if you want to transfer a lot more than 240,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors, you will want to do so around numerous times.
Marriott Bonvoy’s airline mileage transfer partners
In this article are the 38 airline recurrent flyer packages you can transfer your Marriott Bonvoy details to:
- Aegean Miles+Reward
- Aer Lingus AerClub
- Aeromexico Club Leading
- Air Canada Aeroplan
- Air France-KLM Traveling Blue
- Air New Zealand Airpoints
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Strategy
- American Airways AAdvantage
- ANA Mileage Club
- Asiana Airlines Asiana Club
- Avianca LifeMiles
- British Airways Government Club
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Copa Airlines ConnectMiles
- Delta SkyMiles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Visitor
- Frontier Miles
- Hainan Airlines Fortune Wings Club
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
- Iberia As well as
- Japan Airways Mileage Lender
- Korean Air SkyPass
- LATAM Move
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Saudia Alfursan
- Singapore Airways KrisFlyer
- Southwest Airways Fast Rewards
- Tap Air Portugal Miles&Go
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid As well as
- Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- United Airlines MileagePlus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer
- Vueling Club
Notice that there are two exceptions to the 3:1 transfer ratio:
- Marriott Bonvoy details transfer to Air New Zealand Airpoints at a 200:1 ratio this simply displays the various scale of Air New Zealand’s benefits forex
- Marriott Bonvoy factors transfer to United MileagePlus at a 3:1.1 ratio, so the transfer ratio is 10% much better than with other partners this reflects the distinctive partnership amongst Marriott Bonvoy and United MileagePlus
Marriott Bonvoy airline mileage transfers are not quick
With the key transferable points currencies, converting points into airline miles is typically an prompt approach. So it’s worth staying aware that Marriott Bonvoy details never change into airline miles quickly. Relatively transfers frequently just take any place from a couple of days to a couple of months.
I’d think about this to be a main weak issue of this option. I frequently recommend changing factors into airline miles in scenarios where you have a precise use in mind, and that could be a circumstance in which you discover award room on a particular flight.
Clearly that’s not specifically valuable below, given that it could choose a few of weeks for the transfer to take place, and odds are that whatsoever award availability you had been searching at will be long gone at that stage.
Are Marriott Bonvoy mileage transfers really worth it?
Even though I imagine changing Marriott Bonvoy factors into airline miles could stand for a great value, it’s not how I choose to redeem my Bonvoy factors.
To briefly crunch some quantities, as mentioned above, I price Bonvoy details at .7 cents each. At a 2.4:1 transfer ratio (60,000 factors for every 25,000 miles), that is like “paying” 1.68 cents per airline mile, which is a fairly first rate value.
Why do I select not to transform Marriott Bonvoy factors into airline miles?
- Marriott Bonvoy factors just can’t successfully be attained as a result of credit rating card shelling out, so your only selections to earn them successfully are by hotel stays, or by purchasing Bonvoy factors (ordinarily at a increased value than what I benefit them)
- I generate transferable details currencies for my credit score card shelling out, so I’d relatively use points gained with Amex Membership Benefits, Money A person, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou, for flights, considering that I can get paid those people factors at a a lot quicker price with credit score card paying
- I’d instead use my Marriott Bonvoy points for luxurious lodge stays in which there is outsized price with the points
- In principle the a single situation where it could make perception to transfer Marriott Bonvoy factors to airline miles is for courses that do not in any other case companion with the big transferable factors currencies, like Korean Air SkyPass even so, even there I really do not think it’s terribly persuasive
So I completely really do not feel any individual is off foundation for picking out to change Marriott Bonvoy factors into airline miles. Nevertheless, it’s not how I select to redeem my details, and I do not believe the benefit is there for most.
It is extra of a very last vacation resort redemption solution, if you are certainly not able to get benefit somewhere else. In fairness, that may well just be the direction the plan is headed. Whilst Bonvoy points have been substantially devalued about the decades for hotel redemptions, the mileage conversion solutions have remained generally reliable.
It’s probable to transform Marriott Bonvoy points into airline miles with about three dozen courses. While this is the best lodge points to airline miles transfer ratio that you are going to uncover with any program, it is still not how I’d pick to redeem my Bonvoy points.
Sure, I recognize the “insurance” that this redemption alternative presents, due to the fact it effectively makes a floor benefit for Bonvoy points. Having said that, Bonvoy points are difficult to efficiently get paid through anything other than hotel stays, so I choose to help you save them for lodge stays. I’d instead change credit rating card details currencies into airline miles.
The place do you stand on the value of Marriott Bonvoy airline mileage transfers? Have you ever redeemed Bonvoy factors this way?